Welcome to the
Forestiere Underground Gardens!
California state landmark #916
Since 1906 - over 110 years old
Take a tour off hwy 99 and
visit fresno's best kept secret
- A hand-built network of underground rooms, courtyards and passageways reminiscent of the ancient catacombs.
- Unique fruit producing trees, shrubs, and vines growing underground - some over 90 years old!
- Ancient Roman architecture - arches, vaults and stone-built walls.
- Underground micro-climates - temperature variations of 10 to 30 degrees!
- Underground home of Sicilian visionary and self-taught artist/builder Baldassare Forestiere.
5021 W. Shaw Avenue, Fresno CA 93722
phone - 559-271-0734
SUMMER SCHEDULE: Wednesday through Sunday - First tour at 10 am, and tours offered hourly until 4 pm
In the early 1900s, Sicilian immigrant, citrus grower and visionary Baldassare Forestiere began turning what was useless farmland into a vast network of rooms, tunnels and courtyards as a subterranean escape from the sweltering Central Valley summer heat.
Using only shovels, picks and other hand tools, Baldassare was inspired to excavate for forty years, going as deep as 25 feet underground and spanning over 10 acres. He grew fruit trees and grapevines underground - many of which are still thriving today!
Today, guests from around the world tour through his grottoes, passageways and underground homes. Although he never officially opened the Mediterranean resort of his dreams, we think Baldassare would be thrilled by all of the guests marveling at his life's work today and finding inspiration underground.